[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Thinking aloud on a new turbo setup
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Thinking aloud on a new turbo setup 

Post Thinking aloud on a new turbo setup
So yeah...I'm a turbo whore...what of it? :lol:

Alright, so I am going to sell my turbo setup soon. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I have bigger plans. This, is going to be me straightening everything out on 2 possible solutions to me going 35R. Both of which will have a recirculated external wastegate. One, being more interesting then the other.

Plan 1 (aka $$$$): FP
-FP Manifold $250 + or -
-FP HTA DSM82 (GT3582R HTA with a FP turbine housing) $1.7K
-FP Custom 3" SS O2 Housing for FP30 Turbo W/ recirculated pipe $625
-Tial 44mm $~380
-Custom made V-band downpipe. $?
-Random assorted fittings/lines/gaskets $?

The reason I like it: It is easy to put together. Basic assembly required. And will flow like a mofo. But, this is top mullah shit right there. It can be done, I'd just rather not.

Plan 2: Tweaker setup
-T3 Manifold without a wastegate port on it (Dunno from who)
-Garrett GT3582R with a 5-bolt Ford style hotside.

-Custom made o2 eliminator downpipe with a Tial MV-S right off the wastegate port (ported to 38mm on the hotside if needed/possible) then recirculating back into the downpipe. Kind of something like this that was made for an EvoX:

The reason I like it: It is something new. It's basically a tweaker put together of the FP setup. Which of course, means it will be much cheaper and if something fails, a heck of a lot cheaper to replace.

So, this is what's bouncing around in my head. I have to do some more research on the Tweaker setup to make sure everything will work the way I intend it to. But, what do you guys think? And if you see a blaring reason why the tweaker setup wouldn't work, please bring it to my attention lol.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Squish Face

Post Re: Thinking aloud on a new turbo setup
Id go with the 2nd setup just because i like being tweaker like. Secondly im not sure if ive seen a t3 manifold without a provision for an external on them but good luck with the search.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

I would just get away from the DSM style manifold/turbo inlet deal. Its really a limiting factor. Jump out of it into a t3 style mani, and the world opens up.

Punishment racing has a really nice Cast Stainless manifold/o2 elim/dump tube setup for 1.2K.
GT3582R with a 3" 4bolt outlet.
Tial 44mm or ask punishment to make the manifold with a MSV flange.
Random fittings and lines
?????????
PROFIT!

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

That's another thing that popped into my head late lastnight/morning. I love Tims work and I'm sure he could fab up something really simple to get an external to route back into his o2 housing. And that cast manifold from ERL is SICK looking. But it has a horrible wastegate provision for a recirculated setup. One of his tubi ones might do the trick. Then I'd REALLY need that hood vent lol

Still gonna research the tweaker setup to see if it can be done for shits and giggles. But I'm leaning towards a PR setup now...

Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Alright, got everything figured out on what I'm going to do. I'm going to be depending on Tim over at PR heavily on this to work the way I see it in my head but this is going to be TITS!

-Punishment Racing DIVIDED T3 manifold with twin V-band 38mm wastegates
-Garrett GT3582R with a .78A/R Divided T3-3" v-band turbine side
-Custom o2 housing (still working on how I want to have this done, but for now the basic should work)

From there, the hard part is getting the 2 wastegate dumps to reroute back into the exhaust somewhere (possibly 2 somewhere's). Thus the reason for the unshureness of the o2 housing design.

The reason I like it: Its fucking TITS!!! lol. It will flow like a big A/R open T3 turbo (nice top end power), but spool up quick because it's a divided housing with constant pulsations of exhaust going through it (fat Tq band that will probably start right around where my 30R is now). And once I actually do my Eagle/Scat/Wiseco stroked motor, it will become UBER TITS.

Just keeping you guys updated on what goes flying through my head at 5am. But this one is staying. Soooooo looking forward to this :twisted:

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

twin scroll ftw. I picked up the holset HX35 divided 12cm^2 housing off of Jose. Damn thing is huge, I'm building a twin scroll mani with twin ms-V 38mm gates. I'm just going to dump them. 8)

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

Last edited by Wally on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

Almost EXACTLY what was in my head :D. So it is doable. Just gotta talk to Tim about it and see if he can mock one up in a 2g. From there, it's just random assorted fittings and a new V-band exhaust.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

working on that is gunna suck. And underhood temps will be nuts. But GOD DAMN DOES THAT LOOK GOOD! Should perform as good as it looks too.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 pm
Profile WWW

Going to try and keep it all V-band for the dump tubes to recirculate back into the dp/o2. Will make it easier to remove certain pieces so work can actually be done to it.

Biggest problem is going to be cooling it down. RRE hood vent with no A/C and twin pusher fans is what I have planned but I'm still not sure if that's going to cover it all. I'll probably have to switch over to a 1g style radiator anyway to keep the upper radiator hose away from the manifold and wastegate. Thinking something aluminum and thin haha.

Plus, this will force me to actually setup my EvoIII oil filter housing with an oil cooler to also aid in keeping things in check :wink:.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 am
Profile WWW

So I've been doing a shit ton of reading on divided setups...I'm going T4 :shock:. And since I have SOMEHOW managed not to spend all my money on random shit, I've been looking to go REALLY tits on this setup. Because, there is no point going tits if you aren't going TITS McGEE on it lol.

What does mean? Click to find out :wink:.

The only thing I am having trouble with is deciding on which A/R to go with for the divided T4 options. I know the .84A/R would be PERFECT for how the car sits right now. Toss in some cams and it would be a powerhouse. But, I have a 2.3L planned for down the short road and I have a gut feeling that the .84A/R would be too small for my liking. I keep thinking it would be like another 2.0 16g style powerband. And the only other option for it is the 1.0A/R. That would put some lag on it for the current setup but probably be a little slower spool then where I'd want it to be on a 2.3L setup. Decisions, decisions eh?

After talking that out, I think I'll go with the 1.0A/R unless someone has some other info/reading material for me.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Squish Face

1.0 A/R! It should still spool fairly quickly and you won't have to buy a hotside when you drop in your 2.3. Sounds like that gsx is gonna be a beast when all is said and done. Are you going with that punishment racing manifold after all?

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile WWW

Yup, still going to try and swing the PR divided manifold. I'm just going to ask for it in a T4 not a T3 (which is actually, what the picture above is of).

And BTW for anyone that would like to know the reason for the jump up to T4, divided T3 hotsides are hard to come by. That is why most places only offer the .78A/R for them. The .78A/R would be perfect on something like a GT30R or smaller. But anything bigger then that (Even a GT35 comp wheel with a GT30 turbine wheel) it is way too small and you'd run into surge because it would try and spool too fast. Now, there are other larger T3 options, but you can normally only find them used for a lot of money because of how rare they are or off of a tractor application. T4 is just simpler.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]